Nu Rho Psi Rating, Reviews and Requirements. Is it worth it?
What is the history of Nu Rho Psi?
The purpose of Nu Rho Psi is to:
- encourage professional interest and excellence in scholarship, particularly in neuroscience;
- award recognition to students who have achieved such excellence in scholarship;
- advance the discipline of neuroscience; encourage intellectual and social interaction between students, faculty, and professionals in neuroscience and related fields;
- promote career development in neuroscience and related fields;
- increase public awareness of neuroscience and its benefits for the individual and society; and
- encourage service to the community.
What are the requirements to be in Nu Rho Psi?
Membership is by invitation and is open to graduate and undergraduate men and women who are making the study of Neuroscience one of their major interests and who meet the other academic qualifications. Nu Rho Psi is also open to qualifying Neuroscience faculty and alumni of Neuroscience programs. Requirements for membership include:
- Major or minor in Neuroscience
- Completion of at least 3 semesters of the College course
- Completion of at least 9 semester hours of Neuroscience-related courses
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.2 and a minimum GPA of 3.5 in Neuroscience courses
What are the key benefits of being a member of Nu Rho Psi?
Nu Rho Psi membership provides recognition of verified academic excellence in the interdisciplinary field of Neuroscience. Students who become members of Nu Rho Psi are selected based on their superior scholarly accomplishments as well as their excellent work in the laboratory. Nu Rho Psi membership is for life and it is often a springboard for the networking and collaboration of like-minded colleagues interested in the study of the brain. Members are provided opportunities to form professional relationships that carry them through their careers in Neuroscience.
They offer both regional and national Nu Rho Psi meetings where young scientists from around the country gather to share their research findings. Nu Rho Psi offers competitive travel awards for members to attend and present their work at the annual Society for Neuroscience meeting. Research Grants and Chapter Activity Grants are also available. Nu Rho Psi facilitates the mentoring of our members through publications (e.g., The Nu Rho Psi Guide to Graduate School in Neuroscience) and other outreach activities of the Society. Members receive membership certificates and lapel pins as an indication of the honor they have earned.
Based on the information, here is our review:
Our first observation is: Nu Rho Psi is the National Honor Society in Neuroscience, founded in 2006, meaning it is relatively new.
Our second observation was: that Nu Rho Psi is a non-profit, grass-roots organization of neuroscientists.
Our third observation was: that Nu Rho Psi is governed by a National Council elected by the members.