2016 WV Science Bowl Volunteers Needed for February 5th & 6thWVSB
Hello! The WV Science Bowl team would like to wish you a happy New Year and thank you for your service in making the 2015 Science Bowl a success! Being such a success, we would like for you to consider volunteering again in 2016. To volunteer for the 2016 WV Science Bowl, please visit the volunteer sign up page.
NETL-Morgantown is partnering with West Virginia University to host the 2016 West Virginia Regional Science Bowl on Friday and Saturday, February 5-6, 2016 at the WVU Mountainlair. Student teams representing West Virginia middle and high schools will be competing against one another in an action-packed quiz tournament to answer questions on science, math, and engineering. The first place team will represent West Virginia at the National Science Bowl competition April 28–May 2, 2016, in Washington D.C.
As in past years, we will need a large number of volunteers to make this event a success, even more this year as we have added middle schools. Please consider helping out! WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! So, ask your friends, your family, your neighbors, everyone is welcome to help.
Some of the perks of being a volunteer are a free breakfast and lunch, a t-shirt, and the pleasure of knowing you are helping to further science, technology, engineering and mathematics education in the young people of West Virginia.
These are the dates and times for the 2016 WV Science Bowl. Depending on what you volunteered to do, your arrival or leaving time will be different. More information will be sent you about that.
- Friday, February 5, 2016 at the WVU Mountainlair – starting at 12:30 pm until 9:00 pm.
- Saturday, February 6, 2016 6:30 am at the WVU Mountainlair – starting at 6:30 am until 3:00 pm
Meals: Breakfast and lunch will be provided to the volunteers on February 6.
Volunteer positions needed:
We will need officials for each of these quiz positions. Brief training is required for these roles and the training dates are: Wednesday, January 27, 2:30 pm at NETL and Wednesday, February 3, 6:30 pm at the WVU Mountainlair.
- Moderator -- must be able to speak clearly and control the competitions.
- Scientific Judge -- must be able to provide scientific support to the moderator.
- Rules Judge – must understand the rules and ensure they are followed.
- Timekeeper -- controls a timer used during the competitions.
- Scorekeeper -- keeps track of the team scores.
- Score Runner -- delivers the score card to the event coordinator, among other tasks. A runner can be a high school or middle school student who is looking to earn credit for an extracurricular activity.
- Event Wizard -- These are specialized folks trained in multiple areas (ex: Timekeeper AND Scorekeeper AND Rules Judge, etc.) to take on ANY of the above roles needed. An Event Wizard will not have a preassigned role. However, we will count on these people to move from one position to another, filling in as needed, to make the event flow seamlessly as if by magic.
We will also need volunteers for these activities:
· TEKids Activity – must be able to interact with middle school students and using TEKids curriculum. Training will be provided on January 21, 2016 from 5:30 to 7:30 pm at the WVU Mountainlair.
· SuGOBots Activity - must be able to interact with middle and high-school students and provide a meaningful learning experience for them during with the SuGOBots.
· Registration – must be able to register teams/volunteers and handout t-shirts to participants
· Setup and Teardown – must be able to arrive early or stay late and help with setup and teardown of equipment and rooms.
To volunteer for the 2016 WV Science Bowl, please visit the volunteer sign up page.
For more information:
WV Science Bowl Web site: http://www.netl.doe.gov/about/education/science-bowl-competitions/west-virginia-regional-site
WV Science Bowl Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Virginia-Regional-Science-Bowl/119480998116044
Happy New Year and Best Wishes!
Sydni Credle, 304-285-5255
James Fisher, 304-285-5293
Michelle Richards-Babb, 304-293-0912